Click here to sign up to our mailing list and be notified automatically every year when our latest Doris Gooderson competition launches!
The 2018 Doris Gooderson Short Story Competition – NOW ACCEPTING ENTRIES!
Key Competition Information:
Competition Type: SHORT STORY
Maximum Wordcount: 1200
Entry Fee: £5 per story
Closing Date: 12th July 2018
Prizes: 1st = £200, 2nd = £100, 3rd = £50
50% of profits from the competition go to the Severn Hospice.
PDF Format: Doris Gooderson Entry Form and Rules 2018
Word Format: Doris Gooderson Entry Form and Rules 2018
Rules of Entry
- Entries must not exceed 1200 words.
- Entries should be in the form of a short story, on any theme, and written in English.
- Prizes: 1st = £200, 2nd = £100 and 3rd = £50.
- A fee of £5 is required per entry. Multiple entries are acceptable.
- This competition is open to anyone, of any age, from anywhere in the world, including members of Wrekin Writers who are not involved in the competition administration or judging process.
- Payments must be made in pounds sterling (GBP).
- The Closing Date is 12th July 2018 and all entries (and fees) must arrive by 11.59pm BST on that day.
- Winners will be notified by 2nd October 2018.
- Copyright remains with the author, although the winning entries may be published in the next Wrekin Writers Anthology and on the Wrekin Writers website. Publication in the anthology, or on the website, is not guaranteed.
- No entries should be submitted into any other competition, whilst this competition is running, but may be entered elsewhere after 2nd October 2018.
- Entries received after the closing date will not be judged, nor will any entry fees be refunded.
- No entries should have won a competition or have been previously published (this includes online where someone (other than the writer) has made a decision to accept and publish the story. Note that stories uploaded by the entrant onto forums for peer-review and critiquing purposes only are not deemed to have been published).
- Entries failing to meet all of these rules will be disqualified, and fees from disqualified entries will not be returned.
- Entry indicates an acceptance of these rules.
- The judges’ decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- Entries should not have the author’s name, or any other identifying marks, on the typescript. Each page should contain the story title and page number at the top or bottom.
- Save paper! There’s no need to double-space your text. Single-spaced entries are accepted.
Rules for POSTAL Submissions
- Entries must be typed on white A4, or similar sized paper, and be on one side of the paper only.
- Entries should be submitted to: The Competition Secretary, 29 Christine Avenue, Wellington, Telford, TF1 2DX.
- The fee should be paid by cheque made payable to Wrekin Writers Group. Please note: Payment by PayPal is for electronic entries only.
- No entries will be returned unless a stamped addressed envelope is enclosed.
- Entries can only be acknowledged if a stamped addressed post card is enclosed.
- Entries with insufficient postage will NOT be collected from the Post Office. Please check your POSTAGE. A4 envelopes cost more to send – and more to post back, if you’re enclosing a SAE.
- Entries postmarked by the closing date will be accepted. Entries postmarked after the closing date will not be passed to the judging process.
Rules for ELECTRONIC Submission
- Electronic entries should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org as an attachment to the email in Word or Rich Text Format format.
- Entry fees should be made by PayPal to email@example.com. (Note the different email address.) Please make payment at the same time as submitting. (Payments made a few days prior to, or after, submitting your entry, make administration more challenging.)
- Entry fees for electronic entries MUST be made by Paypal. IF YOU’RE UNABLE TO MAKE A PAYPAL PAYMENT, DO NOT MAKE AN ELECTRONIC ENTRY. USE THE POSTAL PROCESS INSTEAD.